on Dayton Region Arts
As a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been an immediate and severe impact on the financial health of our local arts organizations and individual artists. Culture Works is working with our arts partners to quickly determine a way forward that will best support our Region’s arts community.
Arts patrons – please remember that a loss of income for the arts organizations is not a loss of profit. It’s a loss of the operating funds that enable them to pay employees and artists and cover the day-to-day costs of operating a business. Many of these organizations necessarily operate on very thin margins and are already reporting significant revenue loss from canceled performances, eliminated school programming and events, and closed venues.
How can you help?
- If you’re holding a ticket to a canceled event, consider making that purchase a donation to the presenting organization rather than seeking a refund. Reach out to the organization to provide you with a tax receipt for your donation if you require one.
- Make a gift to Culture Works. As the United Arts Fund for the Dayton Region, we are uniquely placed to be able to support a number of arts organization through this difficult time. Each year, our Campaign for the Arts provides general operating support grants – flexible funding that arts and cultural organizations can use in the areas of greatest need.
- Share arts and cultural videos and stories on your social media. We are already seeing how the world is looking to the arts for comfort and inspiration during these troubled times. In the midst of sobering news, spread some joy and hope. Here are a few local groups and organizations providing streaming arts experiences for you and your loved ones to enjoy from home:
- Dayton Artist Stream – this new Facebook group was created as a place for Dayton-area artists to share their art digitally with audiences in a time when social distancing is keeping them from sharing it in person.
- Dayton Live – Dayton Live’s Facebook page will be live streaming performances every Wednesday.
- Discover Classical WDPR-FM and WDPG-FM – Discover Classical provides 24-hour classical music streaming for the Dayton Region. Now, they are also providing interruption-free study hours for students learning from home.
RESOURCES FOR ARTS ORGANIZATIONS
- U.S. Small Business Administration Economic Injury Disaster Loan Power Point
- U.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Loan Application
- CARES Act Provisions for Non-Profit Organizations as of March 27, 2020
- Americans for the Arts Virtual Check-in Registration – COVID-19 Relief Package Briefing on 3/31/2020 at 3:00pm
- Americans for the Arts Impact Study – a five minute survey on the Economic Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the Arts and Cultural Sector
- The Economic Impact of Coronavirus on the Arts and Culture Sector – Latest results from the ongoing survey above
- AFTA ArtsAction Fund – Contact your members of Congress to advocate for arts support and funding.
- Essential Guidelines for Arts Responders Organizing in the Aftermath of Disaster
- Arts Education Partnership Resources for Serving the Arts Education Field in the Time of COVID-19
- National Coalition for Arts’ Preparedness & Emergency Response
- Springboard for the Arts – Principles for Ethical Cancellation
- American Alliance of Museums – Contact your elected officials regarding economic relief legislation for museums
- Coronavirus Advice for Nonprofit Leaders
- Application for Pro-Bono Consultation from the DeVos School of Arts Management at the University of Maryland
- Practical Steps in a Time of Uncertainty – Michael Kaiser, DeVos School of Arts Management
RESOURCES FOR ARTISTS
- File for Ohio Unemployment
- Recording Academy MusicCares COVID-19 Relief Fund – For music industry professionals
- Sweet Relief Musicians Fund – For musicians and music industry workers who have lost more than 50% of their income
- Musicians Foundation Aid
- Craft Emergency Relief Fund – For established artists working in a craft discipline
- Foundation for Contemporary Arts COVID-19 Relief – For experimental visual artists
- PEN America Writer’s Emergency Fund
- The Author’s League Fund
- The Actor’s Fund
- Association of Performing Arts Professionals – Coronavirus Impact on the Performing Arts Survey
- Gottleib Foundation – Emergency grant information and application for painters, sculptors, and printmakers
- Freelance Artist Resources
GENERAL COVID-19 RESOURCES
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Ohio Department of Health
- The Ohio Channel – Current and archived Press Conference Updates from Governor Mike Dewine
- Ohio Department of Health Stay-at-Home Order
- Global Coronavirus Dashboard
- Local Closings due to COVID-19 – from WHIO-TV
Please check back often; we are adding resources as we find them. If you are aware of a resource not included here that you think others will find helpful, please email us.